A Gown – The Shortened Hot Mess

A Gown – The Shortened Hot Mess

In 2016 I thought I had lost a gown. It is one of my early gowns. I had drafted the pattern myself. Although there was a lot wrong with the construction I was very fond of it. This image of me in it was the first time I had ever done laundry publicly. That brown linen gown had been with me through experiences. I was very upset that I had lost it.

A couple weeks after the event it was found. It had gotten stuck under the spare tire in a black bag in the trunk. Everything in the bag was moist. It looked like was going to have to be tossed. Stubbornly I decided to clean it up and cut all the remaining mildew out salvaging what I could.

Knowing better than to let my emotions get involved I put it to the side. I would decide at a later time what to do with it.  It was the same gown I had previously modified the gown. It had added a second set of robings, cuffs and wider sleeves. In doing this I had made it more appropriate for some of my French and Indian War events. Time passed, the gown sat in my sewing chest. I pulled it out after a year.

Here is an image of me in the gown before the adjustments to it for F&I and before the recent issues. With the new modifications I changed the folds in the back to be more curved.

I began working on the gown last autumn, September 2017. Since my initial drafting of this gown in 2014, I had learned that there should be a strong curve on the back pleats. There were a lot of random things I tried to remember to adjust when I was doing this patch job. So much of the fabric is still unstable. I did not redo all of the seams.  Some of the seams still have quick patch jobs I did at events. The cuffs were removed, and the sleeves taken in and patched extensively. The lower skirt had to be removed. Shortening a gown is an option that many people discuss could have been done in the period. I have found it in writing once, The Pennsylvania Gazette,  05 Oct 1758, Thu.  This ad is pictured at the end of the article.

I have not had time to get pics of me in the remade gown. I gave it a test run in late September and found a lot I had to reinforce and stabilize. I wanted to post this project in Historically Sew Fortnightly (now monthly) for January 2018. I did not get the chance because I did not have any images of me in it completed yet and I was not feeling well.

My gown has been through the ringer. I used unbleached linen thread to patch it and sew up holes over the last several years. The hot mess far from being a beautiful garment with a wonderful example of my skills. I believe it is a good example of making what you have work.

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest